In order to ensure the safety of all TCS New York City Marathon participants, spectators, and partners, NYRR has added two categories of items to its list of prohibited objects at all race-week and race-day events. As always, all bags and items entering TCS New York City Marathon venues and events are subject to inspection by NYRR, contracted private security personnel, venue personnel, and the NYPD.
The following items are prohibited from all NYRR events and race venues:
- A weapon of any kind, including firearms, knives, Mace, etc.
- Any dangerous item or “dual-use” item that could be considered dangerous, including hammers, saws, sharp objects, etc.
- Flammable liquids, fuels, fireworks, toxic chemicals, and explosives
- Large packages, coolers, tents, and lean-tos
- Duvets, sleeping bags, and large blankets or comforters
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances of any kind
- Unmanned aerial devices, drones, survey balloons, photography mini-copters, and any flying device with an on/off switch.
- Opaque trash bags and any non-transparent plastic bags (Clear trash bags are allowed.)
- Folding chairs, camp chairs, and tables of any kind
- Glass containers
- Containers of liquid larger than one liter
- Suitcases and rolling bags
- Backpacks and any bags other than the clear bag check bag
- Camelbaks® and any type of hydration backpack (Fuel belts and hand-held water bottles are allowed.)
- Weight vests and any vests with multiple pockets, especially those that can be used as a water reservoir
- Costumes that cover the face and any bulky outfits that extend beyond the perimeter of the body (Form-fitting outfits are allowed.)
- Props, including flagpoles, sporting equipment, military and fire gear, and signs larger than 11”x17”
- Selfie-sticks and any camera mount or rig that isn’t attached directly to the head or torso
- Photocopies or reproductions of TCS New York City Marathon runner bibs or credentials
Race numbers must be visible at all times while on official TCS New York City Marathon transportation, entering and within the start villages, in the corrals, and on the race course. Amenities and medals will be denied to runners who do not display a race number.
Please note that race numbers are non-transferable; you cannot give or sell your number or tag to another person or participate with an unofficial race number or tag. A participant who does not wear his or her assigned race number and tag, or who is found to have transferred, bought, or sold entry into an NYRR event, or otherwise permitted any other individual to wear his or her race number, will be disqualified and suspended from subsequent NYRR events. This policy is extremely important to ensure we have accurate medical information about every participant.
Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated as we enhance and expand our security efforts to make your TCS New York City Marathon experience safe and enjoyable.