The application to become an International Tour Operator for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon is open. Please read the requirements and other information below before applying.
New York Road Runners offers guaranteed entries to qualified and selected Tour Operators through the International Tour Operator (ITO) program of the TCS New York City Marathon and other events including the United Airlines NYC Half, Popular® Brooklyn Half, NYRR New York Mini 10K, and Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K. Details about the International Tour Operator program are below.
- Tour Operators must be able to prove they are accredited by their country via a board of tourism or other legal entity as an active and official travel agency.
- Tour Operators must be able to demonstrate their experience planning and executing travel packages with other world-class sporting events, particularly other large race events.
- New Tour Operators must be able to commit to a minimum 25 entries for the TCS New York City Marathon, and a minimum 5 entries for all other events available through the ITO program.
- Tour Operators are required by New York Road Runners (NYRR) to provide either hotel accommodation in New York City or a round-trip flight to New York City for race weekend (or both) to all runners who are provided with entry. A Tour Operator may choose to provide other additional benefits.
- For the TCS New York City Marathon, NYRR requires that the ITO provide race-day transportation for their runners to the start village on Staten Island. This transfer can be provided either via charter bus arranged by the ITO or by reserving space for runners on transportation provided by NYRR at a cost to the ITO (see “ITO Fee” section below).
- NYRR requires that tour operators report all benefits they are providing, as well as additional details as requested, including contact names and the location of race-week accommodations.
- Tour operators are only able to sell packages within their home country, unless otherwise approved by NYRR.
Each guaranteed entry carries a cost to be paid upfront by the Tour Operator. One invoice per event will be sent to each ITO with respective deadlines to allow for two payments, if needed. For the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon, the fee is $550 USD per entry. For the 2019 United Airlines NYC Half and the 2019 Popular Brooklyn Half, the fees are $225 USD and $150 USD per entry, respectively. ITO pricing for other available events will be communicated directly by NYRR to selected partners. All ITO fees cover the runners’ race registration and must be made via wire transfer.
For the TCS New York City Marathon, Tour Operators are required to provide transfer to the start village on Staten Island. They may elect to provide charter bus transportation for their runners to the start or opt to have their runners take any of the options offered by NYRR at a cost of $25 per runner. Any applicable transportation fees will be invoiced separately to the ITO prior to race day.
Selected Tour Operators will be allocated a certain number of entries, determined by NYRR, based on the Tour Operator’s demonstrated marketing capabilities, sales history (if applicable) with NYRR, and the number of entries the Tour Operator requests. NYRR does seek Tour Operators who have the capacity to take on and sell a significant number of entries. While we want Tour Operators to be reasonable with their requests, there are minimum quantities which have to be met (25 entries for the TCS New York City Marathon, and 5 entries for all other NYRR events), and we also want to see Tour Operators demonstrate strength within their markets with the capacity for growth year over year.
Once a Tour Operator has signed a contract, no adjustments will be made to the number of events and entries. The tour operator is expected to pay for all entries, no refunds or adjustments will be made.
The application to become an International Tour Operator for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon is open.
NYRR selects Tour Operators who are committed to providing an excellent experience to runners on their journey to New York and the selected NYRR event. We seek partners who have experience planning and executing travel packages with other world-class sporting events, especially running races. The ability to commit adequate resources and energy to marketing and selling entries is critical to the success of NYRR’s partnership with any selected Tour Operator.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.